Monday, April 4, 2011

Veil Making Class (432 Days to Go)

So while at the Cavanaugh's Bride Show in downtown back in February, my co-MOH, Kansas stumbled onto a booth for a place called the Fabric Place in Mt. Lebanon.  They gave us information about a veil making and headpiece making class that they offered.  The card even offered a free gift for dropping by the store.  Well, a month went by and the bag of fliers and information from the show remained sitting in a corner of our living room completely untouched.  I had more or less hit wedding planning overload during the month of February and was also busy trying to figure out what I was doing about my wedding dress.  So when Kansas called me and asked when the class was, I hadn't the foggiest clue.

The veil I tried on
at MB Bride
A week later she texted and reminded me to nudge that bag in the corner of my living room to find the answer.  I took the reminder and peeked inside the bag looking for the violet piece of paper with the ribbon tied to the top and a little bejeweling.  Luckily they had totally decked out their flier or else I might have given up after ten seconds.  I called the store and inquired about the class and got back to Kansas letting her know that I'd gotten us each a slot.  We then started to pick up the conversation she and I had started back at the bridal show: what I envisioned my veil to look like.  

Now when I tried on dresses I had been shown a couple of traditional style veils.  The one that I liked best had a little bit of rhinestones to match the dress around the edge and fell to the elbow in length.  That was option number one in my mind.

Option number two was something I hadn't seen in stores at all and would definitely have to be made, not bought.  It was the veil worn by Elizabeth Swan at the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

My thanks to The Rum's Gone for taking such great screen shots!
I wish that in the film it was pouring down rain so I could envision whether or not the veil was a little fuller at the bottom or if it stayed as then looking as it does in the top picture.  But what I really love is how the veil appears at the neck and the base of the head where it is attached at two separate points in order to create the looped effect.  I have a feeling it will be difficult to imagine how the veil will look with my dress without making it first and trying them together.  A shame, I tell you, a damn crying shame.  Note: sarcasm.  I think I'd have too much fun playing dress up to care about a few hours of wasted time and a few yards of material if it ended up coming to naught. 

Strangely enough Keira Knightley wore this type of veil once before in King Arthur.

Thanks to Long Ago Captures for these screen caps!



This one has not been drenched and appears fuller, but alas, no good shots from the back in order to give me a better idea of how it might look for me and my wedding.  However, I do not like how this one is attached to the crown by wrapping around it.  I figure when I attempt it, I will attach the ends to small combs which will tuck in either behind my ears or into the side of a bun or something.  I just can't picture myself in a tiara especially since I'm not planning to keep the veil on through the reception.

Courtesy of David's Bridal
So, for the class, Kansas and I went in armed with our screen caps of the POTC veil and learned that making a veil is fantastically easier than it would seem.  The only thing that can make it really hard is what you attach to the edge because some of them you would have to hand sew on, for instance bead work or rhinestones.   We also learned how to avoid making a 90s or 80s style veil.

Cue in bubble veil.  Oh gah! I forgot how bad that looked.  Her head looks so tiny compared to the veil!

But for the POTC style (as I shall forever dub it for simplicity sake), it would be as simple as cutting it, doing a small zig zag stitch along the edge to prevent fraying, and hand sewing it onto the combs.  The instructor suggested that we use chiffon in order to best replicate the appearance of the above styles.

Courtesy of Tiara Garden
We also learned how to make headpieces.  Apparently beading onto a comb requires more in the inspiration department than it does in the skills department.  I shall later stress about lack of inspiration since I want to make some fantastic headpieces for my two MOHs in order to establish their awesomeness and slight step up over the rest of the maids.  And making something funky and fantastic like the image to the left is even easier.  Bring on the hot glue gun, some feathers, and a silk flower.

All in all, the class was a ton of fun.  I'd totally recommend checking it out because even if you only have the tiniest ounce of crafty in your bones, you should be able to totally master veil making.  And as the instructor and the other employees will be more than happy to do for you, they'll break down the cost of what you're getting yourself into and how much a similar store bought veil would set you back.  So head out to the bridal salon, snag a photo of that veil you love and then check out the Fabric Place and make it yourself.  With the money you'll save maybe you can afford to splurge a little on the bridal jewelry you've been eyeing up.

So disturbed that I found this on LaLaLingerie and actually like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment